Sunday 21 October 2012

Jungle

So yes, "This Is... Jungle" (that years later appeared to be just one of hundreds of Beechwood Music samplers) was my first real guide through Drum'n'Bass sounds, including some of my favorite tunes by 4hero, Goldie, Photek, Wax Doctor, Universal Flava, Jason Mouse, ST Files, as well as first introduction to Alex Reece, Omni Trio, LTJ Bukem, Roni Size, Intense and many others.

For sure, "Dig Your Own Hole" and the long-awaited "The Fat of the Land" were in heavy rotation, but they only resonated with my "teenage spirit", while this new discovered genre was providing a further perspective. Euphoric, atmospheric, soulful, and at the same time heavy, eccentric and unpredictable, Jungle was just too progressive to share with my classmates. And the fast broken beats were just so so so perfect! Yes, they were challenging, but combined with almost ambient patterns and soundscapes this was just a perfect music for me. I think that without Jungle, I'd never get hooked on rhythm aspect in music as much as I am today.

To my surprise, soon I found another cassette entitled "This Is... Jungle": the only familiar name it included was Perfect Combination, which altogether seemed curious and suspicious. "How come there's no big names on the compilation? How can a genre compilation do without the classics?" What I didn't know, is that I'm buying my first mixtape. Or, to be exact - mix-CD put on tape. And it included another tune that became my personal classic:

No comments:

Post a Comment