Tuesday 2 October 2012

The Future Sound of London

David Bowie, eh?... ;)

So, I came back from Vienna with the seed of electronic influence on one hand and tons of paper with lyrics for my band on the other.

The band lasted for 6 months without a drummer and with a bassist who was a huge Metal fan. We gave 1.5 live performances. 1.5 because the first was at the local talent show and the second one happened spontaneously at my place to the audience of 4 people.

I was growing up, my voice was changing, I've finished my piano studies and refused the offer of staying for another year and prepare for musical college. From this fact you may understand that I still wasn't sure then that music will be my future. I left the choir in autumn 1997, when I couldn't sing properly anymore and got pretty much tired of all the inner policies. But, until then there was still spring and summer, which were full of great experiences.

However, it was still spring, I was reading "MG" from the first page to the last, swallowing all the names (especially the relevant ones) and learning about the music that I'd like to hear.

It came from three sources simultaneously: I've read articles about ambient and The Future Sound of London, my sister's friend brought us more videos, that included a segment their clips from "Lifeforms" era, I recorded from Belorussian TV an hour of clips, that included a few other FSOL clips from the "ISDN" era. I was astonished: Where are these sounds coming from? What do these visuals mean? Who is this girl, that appears in every video? Who is this Asian man?...

Soon, from the same sister's friend I discovered Orb, Orbital and Aphex Twin... that's how I entered the world of electronica, while still singing in an alternative rock band.

Today's tune is not the very first FSOL video I saw (oddly enough, later my first FSOL cassette was "Dead Cities", while "Lifeforms" and "ISDN" were absolutely impossible to find). But when I heard it again today, I realized what a phat beat it is! And it's recorded live in 1994! Just listen to it: Dabrye? Ras G? Flying Lotus?... ?!

No comments:

Post a Comment