Tuesday 9 October 2012

Nico

I was constantly discovering not only new and current music, but also influential music of the past. After all, growing up surrounded by the songs of Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Queen, left a strong mark on my taste. Music seemed timeless, so for me Beatles or The Doors were not my parents' music, but part of the musical palette of my own generation. So, when one of my sister's friends brought her a cassette, with "Velvet Underground and Nico" written on it, I knew that I must hear it.

For many years this was the only Velvet Underground recording I heard. I liked it a lot, but what a surprise it was to discover a few years ago that it wasn't the actual "banana" album on that tape, but a sort of self-made compilation of songs from Velvets' OTHER albums, separated by selections from Nico's own "Chelsea Girl". And, actually, many of these songs have become my favorite - especially Nico's ones. And this song was actually my first introduction to her shivering and magnifying voice:

No comments:

Post a Comment