Saturday 20 October 2012

Inner City Life

Autumn 1997. Time was moving towards my 15th Birthday. I was trying different ways of making my own music. From overdubbing myself on the tape via microphone, I moved to trying things on our computer. With Windows Sound Editor alone (Win 95 users, anyone?) I managed to manipulate sounds that I exported from Warcraft II and Shattered Steel in order to create some primitive tracks. Soon, a friend of mine brought me some other program, which was still pretty primitive sound editor. Like any PC user of that time I didn't have too much space, so I was creating tracks in an awful 8 bit/11.025 kHz quality and recording them on tape, before erasing the original.

Like I already said, from the few tunes I've heard so far, I was looking for the "Jungle" thing. "Super Ape Inna Jungle" by Lee Perry and Mad Professor was nice, but I wanted more, so I've bought two cassettes with a simple title "This is... Jungle". These two tapes became my real introduction to the genre. And this is how I finally heard this name again - Goldie.

No comments:

Post a Comment