Friday 12 October 2012

Barrel of a Gun (Underworld Soft Mix)

It was at HaShomer Hatzair summer camp in 1997. One of the evenings we were sitting a room - Ilya Aronov, his best friend Anton (a huge Depeche Mode fan) and me. A tune was flowing out of the speakers. I knew the vocals - I saw the video on MTV, when I was in Vienna. But this thing was entirely different: calm and peaceful, despite emotional vocals, it was filling the room, the building, the entire space and the listener - me... And it felt as if the time stopped and the whole world had suddenly shrunk to a size of one room, a window, a cool breeze and the darkness outside... In the middle of July, for the first time, I felt that everything is about to change, and this moment, these few days, this summer we all had together, will end and never come back, and we should enjoy every second of it while we can. Something inside of me felt that soon, one by one, we - all the huge company that grew around HaShomer through past 2 years - shall be parting our ways. This wasn't the beginning of the end in no way. This was just a gate into the next phase of our lives. And this tune and that moment was the key that opened this gate for me.

This was one of the first tunes that connected so strongly to the place, the feelings, the people, that each time I hear it, it brings all those memories back very vividly.

No comments:

Post a Comment