Sunday 7 October 2012

Odelay

More or less about the same time I discovered FSOL, Orbital and other electronic legends, I've heard this song, or to be exact - I've heard and saw this song. Everything about it magnified me - the incredible collage of images and sounds from different musical eras living organically together in one music video.

"Odelay" for me was before "Endtroducing", and stood as a perfect example of diverse sampling. I guess this was also the album that lead me to Beastie Boys later on. No wonder that "Odelay" and "Paul's Boutique" are my favorite albums by the artists who made them. Thanks to amazing job by Dust Brothers, both albums are entire encyclopedias of rare music. Layers upon layers of samples from a wide variety of genres. And I still can't point out ALL of the samples used on this album!

No comments:

Post a Comment