Friday 21 September 2012

Tequilajazzz

Today's late evening tune is from an album that I've discovered in the very same issue of "MG", where I found the "Evil Empire" review.

Despite all the western alternative music that I was so driven by, I was still in Minsk, Belarus, ex-USSR and I was very aware of the music coming from the ex-Sovied territory. Russia, mostly, of course. Since I was studying at the Jewish school in European country, I had one tiny privilege over kids from regular schools - free Saturday. Well, I always had a piano class this day, but that was the ONLY school activity for that day. So Saturday morning was beginning with TV and weekend morning shows. So on Saturdays fro a few years there was a quite odd morning show that was sort of an absurd collage of animation, live in-studio performances of local rock bands and interviews with them between the songs, later they included episodes from Monty Python's Flying Circus, then they were replaced with episodes from a Spanish show "Gomaespuma"... Sssso... the first time I saw this show, they hosted this cool hardcore band from St.-Petersburg.

Back then, with Ilya's help I was very much getting hooked on hardcore, but looking for a band that sounded less metal (like Biohazard or "King for a Day..."'s Faith No More) and more "pure" hardcore (which I didn't exactly know how it's supposed to sound, but i guess RATM was the answer, after all). And this SPB band was just exactly what I needed. They have become the only contemporary Russian band that I followed with dedication, buying every album and listening to it hundreds of times. Their sound was changing with every new record (every year!) and still, it only reflected what my musical search was demanding.

It is possible, that many of you won't be as impressed by this song as I am, for the lyrics in Russian rock were always a very strong element. You'll just have to trust me then... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment