Sunday 9 September 2012

Sonic Youth

So, I asked for Sonic Youth and the next time Ilya came over I copied their album. We had too little time and too much music to copy, so I had to copy it on a double speed to one of the least qualified cassettes I had, and I forgot to write the album title.

Does anyone of you remember this annoying ability of tape recorders to freak out and "chew" tapes? Well, this happened to so many cassettes in my collection. And I guess, everyone has a story about it. So my saddest story is about this album: The moment I had it, I was listening to it a lot. One day in the middle of a climax of this song (that I'm posting) my tape player decided to "chew" it. Alright, no problem. You stop the tape, take the cassette out, carefully release the tape from the insides of the player, straighten it up as much as you can and roll it back inside with a pencil. As I played the tape again, it chewed it in the same place. When I started releasing it, I found out that it's got caught so tight inside that it was simply torn apart.

As much I've tried to find this album again, I just didn't know what to look for. Ilya had a few of their albums, so he couldn't exactly recall what I've copied. I didn't have enough friends that hip to help me find it (although this led me to my another SY favorite - "Washing Machine"), so I had no chance to hear this album again up until mid-2000s, when I intuitively took a CD of "Daydream Nation" from my friend's collection and suddenly heard familiar tunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment