Saturday 15 September 2012

Marigold

Like I said, coming back to school in fall 1996 was a whole new experience: Hours of new music flowing through my ears and a close friend that encouraged me to start creating my own. But what kind of song can a boy with 7 years of classic piano write? I didn't know how to play guitar... I couldn't even tune it... but I had ideas in my mind...

So, when I discovered that one of the new kids in our class - Kostya - was a guitar player, I didn't hesitate much to offer him to form a band. He brought in his friend - also a guitar player. Kostya was a fan of Guns'N'Roses, but open enough for the grungy stuff. Even before our first rehearsal ever, he brought me an issue of a newspaper that I've never seen before. Its title was simply "Musical Newspaper" (translated from Russian) or as we were used to call it later - "Muzykalka" or "MG" (this is how I'll be calling it in further posts, so don't be confused). This issue had a huge article about rare and unreleased Nirvana material. This is where I've read about the b-sides that I've never heard yet, and this is where I've learned about the forthcoming compilation "From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah". I've read some other articles and reviews, and was so amazed by the variety of genres and very dedicated writing that the next week I bought a copy for myself... and the week after too... and then again... From the late 1996 till July of 1999, every week I was taking a hit of musical knowledge from this newspaper. But back in late 1996 the explosion was just about to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment