Wednesday 12 September 2012

Kris Kross

I can't remember exactly how and why, but together with Bjork's "Post" from the same girl from the school I took a rap cassette. I don't know how was it in the other places, but back in the mi-90s in Belarus the dividing line between youth group was defined by the musical style and it was VERY thick. You couldn't have a long hear and listen to rap or "rave". You couldn't wear baggies and likes alternative music. Everyone was jealous for their style. And, no matter what group you belonged to, only one enemy was worse than the others - skinheads, because they would beat you without any relation to your musical taste - in their eyes it all was alien and not patriotic.

However, they're not the case here. I'm talking about rap. So, yes, I've copied this cassette and for another year it remained the only hip hop album in my collection. I absolutely not ashamed by the fact that this is actually the first hip hop album in my collection. It most possibly turned me on a certain kind of vibe in rap and that's why I never liked the gangsta stuff since. The more funky and positive it was - the better.

But it took another couple of years for the whole hip hop thing to begin for me more seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment