Tuesday 4 September 2012

Angel

Don't you be confused by the electronic stuff I'm posting here - 80% of the music I was listening to was still grunge, punk and even brit-pop. Nothing too obscure, no cult groups - only music that was defined as "alternative rock" in the mid-90's. I still was following the fashion and most of this stuff left almost no memories.

1996 saw the rise of Happy Hardcore. With Marusha's cover of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and Scooter's cover of "Rebel Yell" making noise in the charts, the market was flooded with Happy Hardcore compilations. In my sister's collection I found a tape of (still unidentified) Thunderdome compilation and my parents thought that it will ruin my intelligence. But all this still wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

I had a small radio-tape and I was occasionally recording songs that sounded good to me. One day I caught a tune that was very different from all the happy hardcore stuff - the beat was not straight and the vibe was more expressive and more musical. In a few months, when I was copying some more interesting music to the same tape, I accidentally erased almost all the tune, leaving only the very ending of it. It took me another 2 years to find out, who was the artist and find this album, but I guess, this tune pretty much defined my taste in dance-floor music - I just couldn't stand the 4/4 beat any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment