Sunday 11 November 2012

NINJA TUNE DAY - PART 3

A friend of mine brought me the fresh FunKungFusion compilation on two cassettes. It included a lot of Ninja's Golden Era tunes that became my personal classics: Mr Scruff, Kid Koala & Money Mark, Dynamic Syncopation, DJ Food's remix for The Herbaliser, The Irresistible Force, Neotropic, Journeyman's "Spy", twisted drum'n'bass by Override and Wild Palms, Clifford Gilberto, Amon Tobin, Luke Vibert, Funki Porcini, J Swinscoe ... you know the names.

But this particular tune was like: "Fffffuck, I wanna do what they're doing here!" In the movie "Scratch" many DJ's recall Hancock's "Rockit" as their first inspiration in scratching. This tune was my "Rockit". From the moment I heard it, I wanted to be involved with Hip Hop as much as I could. I was trying to scratch my children's records on my dad's record player. This is how I discovered the need of slipmat and a mixer. Later on my B-Boy friend brought me a video-tape of 1998 German ITF championship, where DJ Hype (later - Marc Hype) took the first place and Shortkut and Babu gave a closing showcase. I felt euphoric and miserable, because I couldn't afford any equipment by then. It will take another 2 years until I'll have my first DJ-mixer, but this was just the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment