Tuesday 13 November 2012

HIP HOP DAY - PART 2

There was a long line of inspiration in sampling for me. Ninja Tune stuff inspired me to dig through my dad's jazz records - even the most avant garde ones. DJ Cam and Shadow inspired me to look for the drum breaks on the same records (which was desperating). DJ Vadim's first album inspired me to look for strange spoken word samples. But this particular album was the last push to look for samples on every record in sight. Lucky for me, we were doing rips of my whole dad's record collection into MP3 format, so I managed to listen to a lot of records on the way.

Like with many others, I've learned about this fourth cornerstone of alternative hip hop long before I had a chance to hear his music. It took more than a year since I read about him in "MG", until I've finally heard his stuff on the radio. But the real discovery was when I finally managed to get his legendary album on CD. And this particular tune - calm, deep, dark and melancholic - it was in perfect sync with my mood that same spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment