Saturday 10 November 2012

Better Things

New Year's Eve of 1999. My last real New Year's Eve - with snow (which was actually the first snow in that irregularly warm winter), big celebration with a lot of friends, midnight toast and presents. Even our friends from Germany came for a visit.

That night I've received my first shaving kit and a lesson in using it from my parent's close friend. Later that night I was supposed to take a taxi to the other end of town, where my friends had a party of their own.

I can never forget this moment: Silent night, around 4 AM, snow reflecting the streetlights, me sitting by the table, looking outside of the window at the quiet city, and waiting for my cab to arrive... and this song flowing out of the speakers... perfect for such moment, full of magic and sadness...

This was the moment when I realized that this was actually my last New Year in Minsk. In half a year I'll be in totally different place - far away from here - and will never come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment