Wednesday 14 November 2012

GROOVE DAY - PART 1

Of course, thanks to "Radio Styl", I was discovering not only hip hop, but it came alongside acid jazz, breakbeat, jungle... one night there was even a Reinforced Records special, from which I first learned about the early pre-"Timeless" sound... but let's be consistent.

Thanks to the promoters and DJ's that often came to the radio, I could not only discover separate tunes, but hear part of mixtapes by famous DJ's. One night they played various parts of the Cut Chemist/Shortkut "Future Primitive Session", which, of course, hooked me even more on scratching and DJ'ing. The other they played some parts from DJ Vadim/Primecuts mixtape, with some great and rare funk breaks.

But it was discovering segments from this amazing mixtape that a) turned me finally on Cut Chemist and drove me closer to discovering Jurassic 5, whom I will hear a couple of years later; b) showed me that you can spin any music with a beat in a DJ-set - not necessarily new; c) put my focus on what funk really is.

I guess, this was the first moment, when I thought - this is my groove, this is what I want to play as a DJ, these are the real roots of hip hop - this is where I want to dig. And all this "breakout" started with hearing these sounds:

No comments:

Post a Comment