Wednesday 29 August 2012

Nirvana

In the cult British sci-fi series - "The Tomorrow People" - term "breaking out" is used to explain the process of a child discovering his/her "tomorrow person" powers. I'm using this term to explain the moment, when I discovered my future self as a musician.

It was summer 1995, I was singing in the Jewish Agency's children's choir (yes, as weird as it sounds) and went to the summer camp, organized by HaShomer HaTsair, which was actually the first non-religious Jewish youth organization that had a branch in Belarus. And the rumour was spreading that HaShomer camps were the wildest: kids (both - hanichim and madrichim) were drinking almost every night, smoking in their rooms and yes - making their first steps in sexual life. I was small, naive, romantic and generally - a "good boy", staying out of trouble, but I was the witness and I knew perfectly what was going on around me. Everyone knew about it, no one was discussing it - you only needed to avoid being caught by the principal or other elders. And almost every night they were doing a discotheque in the hall, including all the "known" dance hits and the slow dances, of course. There were also hints for the rocking kids to have their pogo fun - and there I first heard THAT song. And THAT song, as obvious as it may seem, was a revelation to me. This was the reason, why I started buying cassettes, why I started listening to the radio and recording songs from the shows, why in a year and a half I've made my first attempt to form a band and make my own music. Back from the camp I knew that I MUST find THAT song, but I still didn't know its name. I knew only the name of the band - Nirvana, and I immediately bought the first thing I've found. THAT song wasn't there, but I've discovered another song, very similar to what I remembered, but different and still - fitting my demand perfectly! "Hello, kids! Meet the first long-haired boy in your class."

I know I was a bit late to love this band, but hey - I was still 12 years old! :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment