Sunday 6 January 2013

If you want me to stay

When we arrived in Jerusalem, I've finally discovered the comfort world of dial-up internet at home (in Minsk I was only going to internet cafes). The night traffic was cheaper, so soon after we connected to the web, I arranged a sleepless night for surfing through music-related websites.

One of the first places I visited that night was Warp Records website. Warp were celebrating their tenth anniversary, so many artists made special their contributions for the web-home. One of those contributions was Plaid's two-part special DJ-mix (naturally for 1999, it was available as a RealAudio stream). The first part was pretty much electronic house'y stuff, which was less interesting for me. But the second part was more in the downtempo/freestyle vein. And I was so amazed by this mix that I even recorded in on a  cassette, like I was already used to do with the FM-radio. Today I hardly remember this mix and I can't even find the tape itself. But I remember clearly how out of the glitchy hip-hop beat suddenly appeared this tune. I already knew this song, since it was covered by Red Hot Chili Peppers, but this version (that I didn't yet know was the original) was just 100 times better!

No comments:

Post a Comment