Tuesday 13 November 2012

HIP HOP DAY - PART 3

It wasn't the PE, it wasn't the Run-DMC, it wasn't the Grandmaster Flash or Herbie's "Rockit", it wasn't Wu-Tang and it wasn't Dr. Dre, it wasn't Tribe and it wasn't Gang Starr, no Pharcyde, no Cypress Hill and no Biggie Smalls... And even as much as I loved Beastie Boys, it wasn't yet them, because, despite my love of "Hello Nasty", it didn't have the impact that "Ill Communication" had on me, but all this was later on...

It was THIS tune that got me into classic hip hop. And the glasses I have for last 3 years were my dream since that time. This tune put me in the baggies and military jackets for another 3 years. This tune guided my eye through the city walls in search for graffiti art, it also put a notebook and a pen in my hands to start drawing my own first sketches. This tune brought me to Sugar Hill Records, early Def Jam, "Buffalo Gals", "Rockit", "Planet Rock", "The Message" and "South Bronx". It brought me to beat juggling, it brought me to funk, it brought me to deep funk. This tune brought me to meet Kindut - legendary MC and rap journalist - and start my first collective hip-hop-acid-jazz project, called "10GLAZ" ("10EYES").

It was all thanks to this single tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment